POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to get a rounding between two boxes : Re: How to get a rounding between two boxes Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:13:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to get a rounding between two boxes
From: clipka
Date: 21 Mar 2010 18:33:19
Message: <4ba69eaf@news.povray.org>
gharryh schrieb:
> For a test i am constructing a inc that contains some profiles.
> Now i want to create a rounding between two boxes to visualize a smooth
> transition between these two surfaces.

For rounded concave edges, you'll need to add another box with square
cross-section in that corner, then cut away from it using "difference"
with a cylinder (make sure it's a bit longer than the beam, so you don't
get a "coincident surfaces" problem at the ends).

For rounde convex edges, you'll need to subtract a box from the corner
(again make sure it's a bit longer than the beam), then fill it up with
a cylinder.

As this will quickly increase the complexity of the shape, I'd suggest
using a prism object (with a linear spline) instead of a bunch of boxes
and box-cutouts, and finally just add/subtract the cylinders. Or,
depending on your requirements, you may even be able to get away without
the cylinders by just approximating the curves with a number of straight
line segments - in that case you only need the prism object.

Alternatively, you might try taming one of the other spline-types to
make the whole rounded-off profile out of a single prism.